Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 271: Words Like Leaves v 1

I keep your words in my pocket
On a folded paper piece
When I'm down I pull it out
And read it a few times silently
I laugh when I realize
You probably already forgot them
Probably never meant to drop them
Thought you lost them like leaves in autumn
But I watched them drop
Picked them up dried them out
And I recited them in my room
Until my muscles memorized my mouth
I left them pressed between the pages
Of my life's story
The weight of whats after atop
And the weight below of what's before me
And I hung those fresh pressed words
Above my bed and read silently
Until my eyes grew too heavy to hold
And I drifted off to sleep
Where I dreamed in words I never spoke
Until I thought in calligraphy
Until the echo's of your voice
Bounced back sounding like me
And I believed everything
The cave walls echoed back
And the darkness of the underground
Began to break and crack
The light's rays poured through
Chasing shade away
Illuminating the dark space
And suddenly I wasn't afraid

No comments:

Post a Comment