You're a young adult now
And it's been a pleasure to watch you grow
To watch you develop a sense of right and wrong
A sense of judgment to decide which to choose
And a conscience to keep you honest to yourself
First under our guidance
Then on your own
More beautiful still is seeing who you've become
Human
Flawed but self aware
They say a mark of intelligence is self awareness
An understanding of being-ness
A characteristic innate to all humans
I, however, have observed otherwise
I've seen men and women grow to a ripe old age
And never become aware of what they are
Of what they've become
They continue running with their self inflicted limps
But you
You have seen it
You have found a way to step outside of your self
You have taken the part of the impartial observer
And weighed your self
Weighed your actions against your ideals
And found that you live in the paradox
Of being yourself but not measuring up to yourself
This is half the battle
You are now weak
As most of humanity is
As our culture has proselytized us to be
But you have the potential for incredible strength
You have the potential to surpass yourself
You have the potential
Now you are in need of constant supervision
But with the impartial observer's interception of enough close calls
You will surprise even yourself
I write this to you as much as I write it to myself
Like it or not I am a part of you
And I only hope that I found my way through
And paved a route complete with road signs and way markers
Before I brought you on this journey called life
Pray for me
We both will need it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment