I found you when you were just a seed
And kept you safe under my boughs
My sturdy branches held back the snow
From crashing to your hallowed ground
And when the frost began to melt
When the world began to wake
Your beauty yearning to break free
Pushed until the earth gave way
I stood and watched you as you yawned
Raised your arms and drank the light
Your budding eyes opened up
Releasing colors from inside
The humming of the birds and bees
Flattered you with endless praise
You hungered for all their attention
And never stopped to tell me thanks
You said you had no time for me
That my colors could not suffice
You turned back to birds and bees
Cutting me out of your life
But soon the nights grew long and dark
Your petals fell exposing thorns
I watched you as passed away
Until your beauty was no more
You said I had no beauty
But out here in the snow it seems
Your brown stalk can not compare
To my evergreen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment